turning dreams into reality

We are certainly moving right along with our interactive baseball simulation.  This past weekend, we accomplished many things off our to-do list and find ourselves in very good shape with the final project due in approximately three weeks.  From a coding and physical computing standpoint, we now have the pitch shown in text with the mph (miles per hour) directly next to it.  For example, when a pitcher throws a fastball, it will say “fastball” in the middle of the screen with the speed of that pitch shown accordingly.  img_0571We have also set up the FSR’s to work with the base to choose between the three different modes.  For this week, we are still trying to compile the three different modes to then insert the FSR’s within the code and have them actually allow the user to make decisions.

From a fabrication standpoint, we actually got quite a bit done in the construction of the batter’s box, home plate, helmet, and bat.  Working as Katie’s apprentice, we built over 75% of what is needed for the final project.  She is the assistant technical director at Tisch and has over 10 years of experience in construction.  Suffice to say, we were able to build exactly what we had envisioned in about half the time that it would have taken Alex and myself together.  I can’t even begin to express how fortunate I am to work with such talented individuals.  Below is our work completed over the weekend:img_0537img_0545img_0541img_0544img_0542img_0546img_0548img_0553img_0549img_0550img_0551img_0552img_0556img_0561As you can see above, we have a 4′ x 4′ platform for the batters box that is sturdy enough to support quite a bit of weight.  How much?  I’m not sure, but it didn’t make a sound when I stood on it for ten minutes so that is a very good sign considering I’m a pretty big dude.  Our home plate is screwed into the platform and follows an “ombre” style of painting.  We are going to have 3 FSR’s attached at each color intersection.

The helmet was surprisingly easy to drill and we have both a button on top to get the user to the main menu and one on the side of the brim to toggle between pitchers.  We decided to have the larger button to the right side of the helmet as we found that having it in the middle would obstruct the viewers vision.

The bat has been cut in half and Katie devised a need little wooden piece that will allow for quick and easy access to the Arduino 101 and haptic motors without taking apart the entire thing.  There is still quite a bit left to do from a fabrication standpoint and certainly much more to do from the ICM/PComp aspects as well.  However, we are definitely making very good progress.

 

Comments (1):

  1. Benedetta Piantella

    December 7, 2016 at 3:07 am

    I cannot wait to see this! This project came so far in such a short amount of time you should all be super proud of yourselves.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Final Project == 4.0

Well, the day has finally come.  Alex, Katie and I have spent the past couple of weeks working together on what seemed like an inconceivable idea considering our collective aptitude in physical computing and processing, but we finally crossed the finish line.  Alex and I are set to present tomorrow and we will be in the winter show over the weekend.  While there are still a few bugs to adjust in the interim, we are confident that we will have those fixed by the time it will be shown to the world (or at least whoever comes to the show on Sunday and Monday).

Unity Dancing

This was my first experiment with Unity and I must say that I actually really enjoyed it.  While obviously there is still a lot to learn, I was amazed how quickly I was able to grasp everything at a basic level.  This may not be the most graceful video ever made, but I am controlling the three movements with different key strokes.

Dancing in a meadow below: